Azure API Management: Execution order of policies

I wrote some posts about Azure API management earlier last year, but last week I was discussing some things with a colleague of mine and he asked a question neither of us could answer out of our heads:

When you send a request to Azure API Management, what order is maintained to execute the policies?

After some searching neither of us could find it, so here’s a blog post to save you the trouble after some testing 🙂

Continue reading

Fill in a Microsoft Word template with a simple macro

At Codit, we like to standardize our documents. We have lots of templates to fill in and one of the parts that we ‘need’ to fill in, is author information (see below).

This post attempts to help out some of my colleagues in semi-automating this, using a macro.

Continue reading

BizTalk 2016 CU5 gotcha: upgrade WinSCP to v5.13.1

With the release of BizTalk Server 2016 CU5, there is an important upgrade of WinSCP as mentioned in the release notes of  KB4087345:

BizTalk Server SFTP adapter is updated to use WinSCP version 5.13.1.

This means you will want to upgrade WinSCP to version 5.13.1 on all of your BizTalk servers if you are using SFTP that is, or are planning to use it at some point.

Continue reading

How you SHOULD perform a manual fail-over of a SQL AlwaysOn Availability Group

Since the arrival of BizTalk Server 2016, Microsoft added support for SQL AlwaysOn. It still is new to many BizTalk operators, administrators and developers. Often having been dealing with older versions of BizTalk.
Not many people have been dealing with SQL AlwaysOn already, so this post is for non-BizTalk geeks as well…

There was always the need for high available SQL environments. Companies want their data and systems running in a way that downtime can be minimized and SQL Server has a lot of solutions to that problem, one of them being SQL AlwaysOn.

When having dealt with a SQL Failover Cluster before, you might be tempted to use the Failover Cluster Manager to fail-over an availability group, however this is NOT a good choice when dealing with SQL AlwaysOn…

Continue reading

What you need to know about SQL identity columns

As every other developer working with Microsoft SQL Server on-premise, you probably already came in contact with SQL IDENTITY columns. They are commonly used and are pretty straightforward… or at least they seem that way.

As an architect I regularly use them in my designs, but there are a few quirks I learned along the way that some of you might not have encountered yet.

Disclaimer: I’m not a DBA nor is this article intended for DBA’s, this is mainly directed towards developers.

So, now that we got our DBA disclaimer up….. 😉
Here are some of the things you might now know yet…

Continue reading

Windows 2016 Failover Cluster Services now has load balancing (enabled by default)

Having a production system with “new technology” is always keen to give you some issues you didn’t know about earlier on.

Lately, due to the arrival of BizTalk Server 2016 and related support for Windows Server 2016 and SQL Server 2016, we’ve seen some things we did calculate for.

It seems the Failover Cluster Manager now has built-in support for automatic load balancing:


Continue reading